Sunday, December 14, 2008

The things we do...


Well, I thought the blog was going to go quiet for a few weeks while I'm on leave. Cancel that! A call has gone out for an UNDAC team to assist with the coastal inundation from unusually high sea levels in Papua New Guinea. Here is a link to the information on Reliefweb (this is updated regularly).

A team of four UNDAC members has been selected to assist with the response, especially as a second and possibly more significant event is coming through in the next few days. The team comprises Peter Muller (OCHA Fiji), Odeda Benin-Goren (Israel), Maj. Alan Toh (Singapore) and me. We will also have two IT experts from the Asia Pacific Humanitarian Partnership coming with us from Singapore.

At this stage, I depart on Tuesday morning. If time and communications permit, I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shane, The things you do! Well I think you are very brave, not for going into a disaster zone, that's the easy bit. I think you are brave to suffer the wrath of the family not being home over Christmas. Good luck to you and best wishes, work will still be here on your return. Cheers Keith.