Saturday, June 14, 2008

IRIS - an eye to the future

Many of the CDEM Group managers will be aware that there is quite a big project underway at the moment called IRIS. This project is looking at ways that regional councils can collaborate on the development of software applications for use in local government (among other things).

From a CDEM perspective, I am aware that an emergency management module has been discussed as a possible project for IRIS and that some members of the team will be visiting me shortly to find out what I would want from a software package for CDEM. For me the big three are accountability, consistency and best practice. If we can achieve this in an environment of collaboration and information exchange (vertically and horizontally) then we will be significantly further down the track than we are today.

In preparation for their visit, I would welcome feedback from anyone about how you see the software future of CDEM at Group strategic and operational levels. I'll keep you posted on discussions.

No comments: